The foundation supports any building and one has to make sure that it is strong enough to hold the building in place for years. Small cracks in the foundation are normal, but large cracks can cause problems with the integrity of the building and can cost a lot of money to repair.
But according to home experts, some cracks, even if they are wide, may not cause much damage depending on the case. standing foundation. Before studying cracks, you need to know the foundation on which the building stands. You can also visit https://americanwi.com/settling-basements-foundations/ to find cracks foundation specialists online.
There are main types of foundations on which a building stands.
- If the building is built in a hot and humid place, the foundation will be built on a layer of concrete poured over fine soil.
- Sometimes buildings are erected on external concrete beams and pillars in the centre of the house.
- And finally another type of foundation where only the piles are drilled deep and everything else is built on it.
- The main problem with the foundation arises from the movement of the soil and the damage depends more on the type of foundation mentioned above.
Here are signs to look out for if cracks in the base are severe.
- Inspecting the wall can determine if the crack is at a 45-degree angle. This occurs when the base moves and tears the drywall.
- When the door and window frames are twisted, cracks can be seen at the top. This is also due to the movement of the base.